This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The Transmandibular Distractor (TMD) is an intraoral expansion device for symphyseal widening by callus distraction. Its advantages include limited surgical exposure, skeletal anchorage, and expansion along the arch segment together with proportional and differential widening in the frontal plane.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rapid mandibular expansion.Rev Venez Ortod. 1990; 48: 1-2
Guerrero, C, Constati, G, Transverse (horizontal) mandibulardeficiency, Bell, W, H, Modern practice in orthognathicand reconstructive surgery, Vol 3. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1992, 2383, 2397
- Use of a skeletal distraction device to widen the mandible: A case report.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1993; 51: 435-439
- Distraction osteogenesis for correction of transverse mandibular deficiency: A preliminary report.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997; 55: 953-960
- Mandibular widening by intraoral distraction osteogenesis.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997; 35: 383-392
- Distraction osteogenesis in Silver Russell syndrome to expand the mandible.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 1999; 116: 25-30
- Distraction osteogenesis to widen the mandible.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997; 35: 11-19
- An experimental study of mandibular arch widening in the dog using distraction osteogenesis.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998; 56: 330-338
- Transpalatal distraction as a method of maxillary expansion: Technical Note.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1999; 37: 268-272
- Un système dedistraction mandibulaire par ostéosynthèse dynamique:DM-SOD.Rev Stomatol Chir maxillofac. 1998; 5: 223-230
- Mandibular incisors, alveolar bone, and symphysis after orthodontic treatment. A retrospective study.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 1996; 110: 239-246
- Intraoral widening and lengthening of the mandible in baboons bydistraction osteogenesis.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1999; 57: 548-562
- Specific cementumattachment protein enhances selectively the attachment andmigration of periodontal cells to root surfaces.J Periodontal Res. 1995; 30: 360-368
- Periodontal-derived cells attach to cementum attachment protein via alpha 5 beta 1 integrin.J Periodontal Res. 1999; 34: 154-159
- Changes of the periodontal vascular network, periodontal fiber and alveolar bone incident to tooth extrusion.Kanagawa Shigaku. 1989; 24: 117-138
- Biomechanical considerations of mandibular widening by gradual distraction using a computer model.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998; 56: 51-59
- Reactive changes in the temporomandibular joint after mandibular midline osteodistraction.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997; 35: 20-25
- Temporomandibularjoint range of motion: a ratio of interincisal opening to excursivemovement in a healthy population.Cranio. 1996; 14: 296-300
Accepted: June 14, 2000
Received: December 9, 1999
© 2001 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.