The aim of this study was to examine the effectiveness of covering wounds to the tongue with a polyglycolic acid (PGA) sheet and fibrin glue. Eighteen mature male Japanese white rabbits had a unilateral glossectomy involving an area 10 mm × 10 mm × 2 mm. After glossectomy the tongues were covered with PGA sheets 8 mm × 8 mm in size and fibrin glue (mucosal defect covered with fibrin glue and polyglycolic acid sheet = MCFP) 1 week after the operation (n = 3), after 2 weeks (n = 3), and after 4 weeks (n = 3). In control groups, after 1, 2, and 4 weeks (n = 3 in each group), the partially resected tongues were closed with absorbable sutures (polyglactin 910). One week (experimental and control groups 1), 2 weeks (experimental and control groups 2) and 4 weeks (experimental and control groups 3) after operation the tongues were harvested and stained for microscopic examination. Histological examination showed that the covered wound surface had not epithelialised and the basal layer had yet to form in experimental group 1, but had formed in experimental group 2. However, in control group 1, epithelialisation of the sutured wound had begun. Immunohistochemical examination showed that, in experimental group 1, the non-uniform epithelial layer of the covered wound surface expressed cytokeratin AE1/AE3, and the epithelial and connective tissue layers stained strongly for FGF-2. Similar results were obtained in experimental group 2, whereas in experimental group 3, FGF-2 was expressed only in the connective tissue layer, and epithelialisation was complete. However, in control group 1, AE1/AE3 was expressed in the epithelial layer, and FGF was expressed in the connective tissue layer beneath the basal layer. In control groups 2 and 3, AE1/AE3 and FGF-2 were expressed in patterns similar to those in experimental groups 2 and 3. We suggest that this method is useful and the operation is simple. However, further testing of the method is needed and it should be widely used clinically before it is recommended.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Extra-oral knotting of tie-over sutures: a novel technique to bolster the split thickness skin graft for a buccal mucosal defect.J Surg Oncol. 2003; 84: 103-104
- ‘Quilted’ skin grafting in the mouth.Br J Plast Surg. 1975; 28: 100-102
- Management of a complicated pulmonary fistula caused by lung cancer using a fibrin glue-soaked polyglycolic acid sheet covered with an intercostal muscle flap.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009; 8: 697-698
- Application of polyethylene glycolic acid felt with fibrin sealant to prevent postoperative pancreatic fistula in pancreatic surgery.J Gastrointest Surg. 2010; 14: 884-890
- The short-term efficacy of fibrin glue combined with absorptive sheet material in visceral pleural defect repair.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2007; 6: 12-15
- Hemostatic efficacy of a recombinant thrombin-coated polyglycolic acid sheet coupled with liquid fibrinogen, evaluated in a canine model of pulmonary arterial hemorrhage.J Trauma. 2007; 63: 783-787
- Improvement of the tissue-adhesive and sealing effect of fibrin sealant using polyglycolic acid felt.J Invest Surg. 2009; 22: 383-389
- Immunocytochemical and electrophoretic distribution of cytokeratins in the regenerating epidermis of the lizard Podarcis muralis.J Morphol. 2000; 246: 179-191
- Therapeutic angiogenesis induced by controlled release of fibroblast growth factor-2 from injectable chitosan/non-anticoagulant heparin hydrogel in a rat hindlimb ischemia model.Wound Repair Regen. 2007; 15: 58-65
- Effect of recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2) on bone consolidation on distraction osteogenesis: a preliminary study in rabbit mandibles.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2006; 34: 270-276
- Increased effectiveness of fibrin sealant with a higher fibrin concentration.Int J Adhes Adhes. 2000; 20: 27-31
- ABC of wound healing: reconstructive surgery.BMJ. 2006; 332: 710-712
- Design of an artificial skin. I. Basic design principles.J Biomed Mater Res. 1980; 14: 65-81
- A new type of biomaterial for artificial skin: dehydrothermally cross-linked composites of fibrillar and denatured collagens.J Biomed Mater Res. 1993; 27: 79-87
- Clinical examination of combined approach using Bolheal® and Neoveil® on closure of pulmonary fistula in chest surgery.Ther Res. 2004; 25: 2245-2249
- Facial nerve repair with epineural suture and anastomosis using fibrin adhesive: an experimental study in the rabbit.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 1524-1529
Alvarez M. The effect of fibrin glue on autogenous and alloplastic bone grafts in rat calvarial defects. California State University, Dominguez Hills 2007; Publication Number 1441952.
- Platelet gel: an autologous alternative to fibrin glue with applications in oral and maxillofacial surgery.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1997; 55: 1294-1299
- One year outcome of damaged lingual nerve repair using a PGA-collagen tube: a case report.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008; 66: 1481-1484
- Local delivery of doxorubicin for malignant glioma by a biodegradable PLGA polymer sheet.Anticancer Res. 2006; 26: 3317-3326
- Bioabsorbable gelatin sheets latticed with polyglycolic acid can eliminate pericardial adhesion.Ann Thorac Surg. 2007; 84: 864-870
- Intravital sidestream dark-field (SDF) imaging is used in a rabbit model for continuous noninvasive monitoring and quantification of mucosal capillary regeneration during wound healing in the oral cavity: a pilot study.Arch Oral Biol. 2010; 55: 343-349
- The effect of basic fibroblast growth factor on scarring.Br J Plast Surg. 2002; 55: 275-282
- Spatial and temporal localization of FGF-2 and VEGF in healing tooth extraction sockets in a rabbit model.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 63: 1500-1508
- Fibrin sealant combined with fibroblasts and platelet-derived growth factor enhance wound healing in excisional wounds.Wound Repair Regen. 2009; 17: 405-410
Published online: August 08, 2011
Accepted: July 16, 2011
© 2011 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.