Ewing sarcoma is a malignant tumour of bone that is seen most often in children and young adults. The usual primary sites are the extremities, trunk, pelvis, and skull, and presentation in the mandible is rare. Cytogenetically it is characterised mainly by the translocation t(11;22)(q24;q12), which has an important role in the establishment of the clinical diagnosis. We report a 4-year-old boy with Ewing sarcoma of the mandible and the cytogenetic alterations that we found.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ewing's sarcoma family of tumors: current management.Oncologist. 2006; 11: 503-519
- Ewing's sarcoma of the jaw bones in adults: 10-year experiences in a Paris university hospital.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2008; 36: 450-455
- Treatment results and prognodtic factors in Ewing sarcoma.Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2004; 21: 597-610
- Updates on cytogenetics and molecular genetics of bone and soft tissue tumors: Ewing sarcoma and peripheral primitive neuroectodermal tumors.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2000; 123: 1-26
- Recent advances in the molecular pathogenesis of Ewing's sarcoma.Oncogene. 2010; 29: 4504-4516
- Unusual histoogical variant of Ewing's sarcoma of mandible.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009; 38: 891-894
- Cytogenetic and fluorescence in situ hybridization analysis of a basal cell adenocarcinoma of the mandible.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2006; 166: 186-188
- Shaffer L.G. Slovak M.L. Campbell L.J. ISCN 2009. International system for human cytogenetic nomenclature. Karger, Basel2009
- Ewing sarcoma of the mandible in a child: interdisciplinary treatment concepts and surgical reconstruction.J Craniofac Surg. 2005; 16: 1140-1146
- Primary Ewing sarcoma of the stomach—a newly described entity.Eur Surg Res. 2009; 42: 17-20
Published online: October 13, 2011
Accepted: September 21, 2011
© 2011 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.