Mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection with a high mortality that affects immunocompromised patients. This is an unusual case of necrosis of the tongue in a patient with pulmonary mucormycosis, diabetes mellitus, and aplastic anaemia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Treatment of zygomycosis: current and new options.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008; 61: i35-i40
- Mucormycosis.Clin Infect Dis. 1992; 14: S126-S129
- Presentation and outcome of rhino-orbital-cerebral mucormycosis in patients with diabetes.Postgrad Med J. 2004; 80: 670-674
- Mucormycosis of the oral cavity.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1993; 75: 455-460
- Orbital apex syndrome secondary to mucormycosis after a tooth extraction in an immunocompetent patient.Ear Nose Throat J. 2010; 89: E24-E26
- Isolated lingual mucormycosis in an infant with Down syndrome.Ear Nose Throat J. 2008; 87 (43): 34-35
- Mucormycosis of the tongue in a patient with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a possible relation with use of a tongue depressor.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 618-620
- Patient survival factors in paranasal sinus mucormycosis.Laryngoscope. 1980; 90: 635-648
- Interferon-gamma and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor augment the activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes against medically important zygomycetes.J Infect Dis. 2005; 191: 1180-1187
- Hyperbaric oxygen as an adjunctive treatment for zygomycosis.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2005; 11: 515-517
Published online: December 07, 2011
Accepted: November 11, 2011
© 2011 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.