Secondary alveolar bone grafting was first popularised due to work by Boyne and Sands 40 years ago.
1Stabilisation of the premaxillary segment in bilateral cases during bone grafting can be difficult, particularly after being repositioned. Occlusal wafers and arch bars constructed to the final position of the maxillary segment are widely used although some authors advocate miniplates,
- Boyne P.J.
- Sands N.R.
Secondary bone grafting of residual alveolar and palatal clefts.
J Oral Surg. 1972; 30: 87-92
2placement of which has the potential to harm developing teeth if the screws are placed incorrectly. Mucosal stripping to make space for the plates may also compromise the vascular supply to the premaxilla through its labial pedicle. We present a simple new method to provide additional stability to the premaxillary segment using a Kirschner wire.
- Carlini J.L.
- Biron C.
- Gomes K.U.
- Da Silva R.M.
Surgical repositioning of the premaxilla with bone graft in 50 bilateral cleft lip and palate patients.
J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009; 67: 760-766
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Secondary bone grafting of residual alveolar and palatal clefts.J Oral Surg. 1972; 30: 87-92
- Surgical repositioning of the premaxilla with bone graft in 50 bilateral cleft lip and palate patients.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009; 67: 760-766
- Alveolar bone grafting.in: Langdon J. Patel M. Ord R. Brennan P. Operative oral and maxillofacial surgery. 2nd ed. Hodder Arnold, London2011 ([chapter 9.5])
- Premaxillary osteotomy and guided tissue regeneration in secondary bone grafting in children with bilateral cleft lip and palate.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2007; 44: 469-475
- Comparison of radiation dose for implant imaging using conventional spiral tomography, computed tomography, and cone-beam computer tomography.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009; 107: 559-565
Published online: January 27, 2012
Accepted: December 31, 2011
© 2012 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.