Idiopathic hemipalatal hypoplasia is rare and leads to speech problems and the regurgitation of fluids, and the reconstruction of asymmetrical velopharyngeal incompetence is a challenge to the cleft surgeon. We present a case in a 5-year-old boy, and introduce the one-stage surgical technique that we used to resolve it.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Treatment of asymmetric velopharyngeal insufficiency with skewed pharyngeal flap.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1994; 31: 287-294
- Practical application of flexible fiberoptic nasopharyngoscopy for evaluating velopharyngeal function.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 82: 611-618
- Velopharyngeal insufficiency in the facio-auriculo-vertebral malformation complex.Cleft Palate J. 1980; 17: 132-137
- Unilateral Moore pharyngoplasty in the treatment of unilateral or asymmetric velopharyngeal incompetence.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2003; 40: 263-268
- Hemipalatal hypoplasia.J Craniofac Surg. 2009; 20: 1150-1153
- Unilateral absence of the soft palate: case report of reconstruction with a mucoperiosteal island flap.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1993; 30: 497-499
- Modified orticochea pharyngoplasty for treatment of unilateral velopharyngeal incompetence.Ann Plast Surg. 1995; 35: 607-611
- A very rare cause of asymmetric velopharyngeal incompetence: unilateral palate hypoplasia.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2012; : 494-497
Published online: November 11, 2019
Accepted: April 19, 2019
© 2019 Published by Elsevier Ltd on behalf of The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.