- Macnamara A.F.
- Metcalfe N.H.
- Brennan P.A.
- Mitchell D.A.
- Holmes S.
- et al.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Sir Archibald Hector McIndoe (1900-1960) and the Guinea Pig Club: the development of reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation in the Second World War (1939-1945).J Med Biogr. 2014; 22: 224-228
- Good people who try their best can have problems: recognition of human factors and how to minimise error.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 54: 3-7
- The archaeology of knowledge (translated by AM Sheridan Smith).Routledge Classics, 2002
- Speech and phenomena, and other essays on Husserl’s theory of signs (translated by DB Allison).Northwestern University Press, 1973
- The Nicomachean ethics (translated by David Ross).Oxford University Press, 2009
- The guild of surgeons as a tradition of moral enquiry.J Med Philos. 2011; 36: 114-132
- Principles of biomedical ethics.7th ed. Oxford University Press, 2013
- Virtue in medical practice: an exploratory study.HEC Forum. 2017; 29: 1-19
- On virtue ethics.Oxford University Press, 1999
- Surgical mentors and role models: prevalence, importance and associated traits.J Surg Educ. 2012; 69: 633-637
- Measuring “virtue” in medicine.Med Health Care Philos. 2016; 19: 149-161
- Moral dilemmas in surgical training: intent and the case for ethical ambiguity.J Med Ethics. 1986; 12: 207-211
- The virtues in medical practice.Oxford University Press, 1993
- Deliberation at the hub of medical education: beyond virtue ethics and codes of practice.Med Health Care Philos. 2013; 16: 3-12
- Teaching practical wisdom in medicine through clinical judgement, goals of care, and ethical reasoning.J Med Ethics. 2010; 36: 558-562
- Surgical Training and Education in Promoting Professionalism: a comparative assessment of virtue-based leadership development in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery residents.Med Educ Online. 2013; 18: 22440
- Six core competencies and seven deadly sins: a virtues-based approach to the new guidelines for graduate medical education.Surgery. 2005; 138: 490-497
Woods R Ian Paterson: surgeon was ‘psychopathic like Shipman’. BBC News 2017 April 28. Available from URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-39580765 (last accessed 19 November 2019).
Rasko R, Power C. Dr Con Man: the rise and fall of a celebrity scientist who fooled almost everyone. The Guardian 2017 September 1. Available from URL: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/sep/01/paolo-macchiarini-scientist-surgeon-rise-and-fall (last accessed 19 November 2019).
Campbell D Victims of disgraced breast surgeon Ian Paterson granted £37m compensation. The Guardian 2017 September 13. Available from URL: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/13/victims-of-rogue-breast-surgeon-ian-paterson-to-be-compensated-from-37m-fund (last accessed 19 November 2019).
Roger Bainton: surgeon struck off for harming patients. BBC News 2017 September 15. Available from URL: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-41281090 (last accessed 19 November 2019).
- Exposure to incivility hinders clinical performance in a simulated operative crisis.BMJ Qual Saf. 2019; 28: 750-757
Operating with respect (OWR) course. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). Available from URL: https://www.surgeons.org/for-health-professionals/register-courses-events/skills-training-courses/owr/ (last accessed 19 November 2019).
- Orthopaedic trainees launch anti-bullying programme.BMJ. 2017; 356: j398
- How virtue ethics informs medical professionalism.HEC Forum. 2012; 24: 257-272
- Virtue ethics and nursing: on what grounds?.Nurs Philos. 2015; 16: 40-50
- Facilitating the development of moral insight in practice: teaching ethics and teaching virtue.Nurs Philos. 2006; 7: 257-265
- A virtue ethics approach to moral dilemmas in medicine.J Med Ethics. 2003; 29: 297-302