The aim of this single-institution, observational study was to detect and explain any potential changes in the incidence of pleomorphic adenoma and cystadenolymphoma over a period of 19 years. The records of all patients who were treated for benign parotid tumours between 2000 and 2018 were evaluated and the data analysed to detect any potential changes in the incidence over time. A total of 2988 patients were studied, 1150 of whom had cystadenolymphomas (39%), and 1047 pleomorphic adenomas (35%). The dominance of cystadenolymphomas was first noted during the period 2004–2007 and remained stable throughout the following years (p = 0.05). The predominant incidence of cystadenolymphomas has increased over time and is not expected to change in the next decades.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Parotidectomy: ten-year review of 237 cases at a single institution.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007; 136: 788-792
- Salivary neoplasms: overview of a 35-year experience with 2,807 patients.Head Neck Surg. 1986; 8: 177-184
- Parotid gland tumours in 255 consecutive patients: Mount Sinai Hospital’s quality assurance review.J Otolaryngol. 2002; 31: 351-354
- Watchful waiting in carefully selected metachronous cystadenolymphomas of the parotid gland: a reliable option.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 57: 425-429
- The incidence of Warthin tumours and pleomorphic adenomas in the parotid gland over a 25-year period.Clin Otolaryngol. 2016; 41: 793-797
- Increased incidence of Warthin tumours of the parotid gland: a 42-year evaluation.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2018; 275: 2593-2598
- Investigation of arguments against properly indicated extracapsular dissection in the parotid gland.Head Neck. 2017; 39: 498-502
- Does increasing the incidence of extracapsular dissection for benign tumors of the parotid correlate with an increased need for revision surgery?.Oral Oncol. 2019; 94: 111-114
Published online: January 21, 2020
Accepted: December 31, 2019
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.