As clearly stated in the introduction to our paper: “A review of those that are emerging at present shows that these elements vary, and it is important that both surgeons and patients understand this when deciding on the best system to use. The goal of this review therefore was to catalogue these important elements for the emerging devices as they currently exist.”
1One of the major points made was that for most of the devices cited there was a lack of embodiment, manufacturing, laboratory testing, and clinical outcomes data either from the reviewed publications, online advertising, or from personal contacts. Therefore, we felt it was beyond the scope of the paper and presumptuous to provide: “further insights into potential improvements” as highlighted by the letter by De Meurechy.
- Elledge R.
- Mercuri L.G.
- Attard A.
- et al.
Review of emerging temporomandibular joint total joint replacement systems.
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 57: 722-728
- De Meurechy N.
Re: Review of emerging temporomandibular joint total joint replacement systems.
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020; (in press)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Review of emerging temporomandibular joint total joint replacement systems.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 57: 722-728
- Re: Review of emerging temporomandibular joint total joint replacement systems.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020; (in press)
- On the reinsertion of the lateral pterygoid tendon in total temporomandibular joint replacement surgery.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2019; 47: 1913-1917
- The lateral pterygoid muscle, a heterogenous unit implicated in temporomandibular disorder: a literature review.Cranio. 2007; 25: 283-291
- Alloplastic total temporomandibular joint replacements: do they perform like natural joints? Prospective cohort study with a historical control.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 45: 1213-1221
- Alterations of mandibular movement patterns after total joint replacement: a case series of long-term outcomes in patients with total alloplastic temporomandibular joint reconstruction.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2019; 48: 225-232
Published online: March 01, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.