The anterolateral thigh (ALT) flap is a reliable technique for the reconstruction of many head and neck defects. It is based on one or more cutaneous perforators that arise from the descending branch of the circumflex femoral vessels. Perforator anatomy in this region is variable, but adequate vessels are found in most cases, usually aided by preoperative Doppler localisation. In a recent systematic review, including 1251 thighs, researchers found that the mean number of perforators in ALT flaps varied from 1.15 to 4.26.
1Multiple perforators in ALT reconstruction can facilitate the design of a chimeric flap with two or more skin paddles.
- Smith R.K.
- Wykes J.
- Martin D.T.
- et al.
Perforator variability in the anterolateral thigh free flap: a systematic review.
Surg Radiol Anat. 2017; 39: 779-789
- Cherubino M.
- Turri-Zanoni M.
- Battaglia P.
- et al.
Chimeric anterolateral thigh free flap for reconstruction of complex cranio-orbito-facial defects after skull base cancers resection.
J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2017; 45: 87-92
- Jiang C.
- Guo F.
- Li N.
- et al.
Multipaddled anterolateral thigh chimeric flap for reconstruction of complex defects in head and neck.
PLoS One. 2014; 9e106326
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Perforator variability in the anterolateral thigh free flap: a systematic review.Surg Radiol Anat. 2017; 39: 779-789
- Chimeric anterolateral thigh free flap for reconstruction of complex cranio-orbito-facial defects after skull base cancers resection.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2017; 45: 87-92
- Multipaddled anterolateral thigh chimeric flap for reconstruction of complex defects in head and neck.PLoS One. 2014; 9e106326
- An experience on primary thinning and secondary debulking of anterolateral thigh flap in head and neck reconstruction.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2012; 16: 1095-1101
- Incidence of inadequate perforators and salvage options for the anterior lateral thigh free flap.Laryngoscope. 2020; 130: 343-346
Published online: March 06, 2020
Accepted: January 13, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.