Medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (MRONJ) is a rare complication of bisphosphonates, or antiresorptive or antiangiogenic medication. Treatment is difficult as the bone has a poor capacity for healing, and further progression after surgery can occur. Quality of life (QoL) in patients with MRONJ has not been well documented. The aim of this study therefore was to identify and analyse data on QoL in this group of patients. Eight studies that were identified through a systematic search of the literature were qualitatively analysed. Overall, data on QoL are lacking and are complicated by concurrent disease such as cancer. Patients generally have a poor QoL because of MRONJ, and multiple oral-specific complaints including pain and problems with speech. Development of a questionnaire specific to patients with MRONJ would help improve the specificity of the data collected. Prospective questionnaires before and after intervention, including information on stage and comorbidities, would guide future treatment strategies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons position paper on medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw — 2014 update.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 72: 1938-1956
- The frequency of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw and its associated risk factors.Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2015; 27: 509-516
- Interventions for managing medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 10 (CD012432)
- United Kingdom nationwide study of avascular necrosis of the jaws including bisphosphonate-related necrosis.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 53: 176-182
- Medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: definition and best practice for prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2019; 127: 117-135
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097
- Quality of life implications of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw.Oncologist. 2011; 16: 121-132
- Treatment of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw and its impact on a patient’s quality of life: a single-center, 10-year experience from Southern Italy.Drug Saf. 2018; 41: 111-123
- Quality of life in breast cancer patients with bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaws and patients with head and neck cancer: a comparative study using the EORTC QLQ-C30 and QLQ-HN35 questionnaires.Anticancer Res. 2012; 32: 3527-3534
- Medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaws (MRONJ) and quality of life evaluation: a pilot study.Clin Ter. 2017; 168: e253-e257
- What is the role of hyperbaric oxygen in the management of bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: a randomized controlled trial of hyperbaric oxygen as an adjunct to surgery and antibiotics.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 70: 1573-1583
- Osteonecrosis of the jaw and oral health–related quality of life after adjuvant zoledronic acid: an adjuvant zoledronic acid to reduce recurrence trial subprotocol (BIG01/04).J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 2685-2691
- Non-complex reconstructive techniques in the management of BRONJ: a case series of patient-related outcomes.Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 18: 223-227
- Oral-health-related quality of life after surgical treatment of osteonecrosis of the jaws.J Craniofac Surg. 2018; 29: 403-408
- Quality of life considerations in head and neck cancer: United Kingdom National Multidisciplinary Guidelines.J Laryngol Otol. 2016; 130: S49-S52
- Treatment outcomes and prognostic factors of medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaw: a case- and literature-based review.Clin Oral Investig. 2019; 23: 3203-3211
Published online: April 01, 2020
Accepted: March 10, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.