Operations that involve the maxillofacial region often require intraoral incisions, and contamination of these wounds is common as a result of the presence of saliva, plaque, and food debris. Postoperative infection is therefore common. The aim of the study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of an intraoral dressing material, Reso-Pac®, in improving postoperative comfort for patients and its effect on wound healing. One hundred patients who required removal of impacted mandibular third molars were recruited, and were randomised into two groups (50 in each). A standardised surgical technique was used for removal of the impacted teeth, and wounds were closed with sutures. Postoperatively, the study group was given Reso-Pac® dressing while the control group was not. Postoperative pain was measured using a visual analogue scale (VAS). Wound healing was assessed with the help of Landry’s scale, and we also measured thermal sensitivity. Data were analysed using the paired t test. The results in the study group were significantly better than those in the control group (p < 0.001). Reso-Pac® promoted wound healing and improved patients’ comfort during the postoperative phase.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Wound healing problems in the mouth.Front Physiol. 2016; 7: 507
- Morphology and differentiation of MG63 osteoblast cells on saliva contaminated implant surfaces.J Dent (Tehran). 2015; 12: 424-9429
- Wound biofilms: lessons learned from oral biofilms.Wound Repair Regen. 2013; 21: 352-362
- ResoPac® — a novel periodontal dressing in Comparison with Coe-Pak: a clinical study.Int J Prev Clin Dent Res. 2015; 2: 32-37
- Evaluation of post operative healing response and patient comfort with two periodontal dressings - ResoPac and CoePak following periodontal flap surgery—a comparative clinical study.J Biomed Pharm Res. 2017; 6 (open access)
- Post-surgical clinical monitoring of soft tissue wound healing in periodontal and implant surgery.Int J Med Sci. 2017; 14: 721-728
- Infected mandibular fractures: risk factors and management.J Oral Hygiene Health. 2013; 1 (open access)
- Evaluation of the haemostatic action of povidone-iodine in dental extraction (Clinical and follow up prospective study).J Baghdad Coll Dent. 2012; 24: 85-87
- Prevention of surgical site infection after oral cancer surgery by topical tetracycline: result of a multicenter randomized control trial.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96: e8891
- The prevention of ‘dry socket’ with topical metronidazole in general dental practice.Br Dent J. 2006; 200: 210-213
- Does topical ozone therapy improve patient comfort after surgical removal of impacted mandibular third molar? A randomized controlled trial.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017; 75 (51.e1–51.e9)
- Periodontal dressing: a review article.J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects. 2013; 7: 183-191
- Membranes for periodontal regeneration.Acta Stomatologica Croatia. 2005; 39: 107-112
- Amniotic membrane in oral and maxillofacial surgery.Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014; 18: 153-164
- Role of nutrition in oral and maxillofacial surgery patients.Natl J Maxillofac Surg. 2016; 7: 3-9
- ‘Plain lignocaine’ vs ‘Lignocaine with vasoconstrictor’—comparative evaluation of pain during administration and post-extraction wound healing by a double blinded randomized controlled clinical trial.Acta Odontol Scand. 2016; 4: 374-379
- Commonly used topical oral wound dressing materials in dental and surgical practice—a literature review.J Ir Dent Assoc. 2013; 59: 190-195
Refinement in treatment of surgical wounds – Reso-Pac® periodontal bandage. Available from URL: https://bib.irb.hr/datoteka/578870.ResoPac-Artikel-Panduric-GB-06-kl.pdf. Last accessed 13 March 2010.
- Role of collagen membrane in the treatment of advanced stage of oral submucous fibrosis: a case report.Saudi J Oral Dent Res. 2017; 2: 155-159
- Amniotic membrane as a biological scaffold after vestibuloplasty.J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2015; 14: 383-387
- Collagen membranes: a review.J Periodontol. 2001; 72: 215-229
Published online: April 09, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.