Our aim was to investigate the clinical outcomes (recurrences, duration of follow-up, and effectiveness) after extracapsular dissection and superficial parotidectomy for pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland. We retrospectively studied 261 patients whose adenomas were treated at the Maxillofacial Unit of Magna Graecia University of Catanzaro between January 2003 and December 2015 and had been followed up for at least three years after either extracapsular dissection or superficial parotidectomy. The difference in recurrences and complications between the two techniques were measured by univariate analysis (Fisher’s exact test). The level of significance was set at p ≤ 0.05. Of the 261 patients 125 were male (48%) and 136 female (52%), mean (range) age 47 (14-78) years. A total of 210 of the 261 patients had an extracapsular dissection (80%, 101 male and 109 female), and 51 had a superficial parotidectomy (24 male and 27 female). Postoperative complications were recorded in 48 of the 261 patients; complication rate was 10% in the extracapsular dissection group, and a third after superficial parotidectomy. There were more complications in the parotidectomy group (p=0.042). For pleomorphic adenomas located in the superficial portion of the parotid gland, extracapsular dissection is a viable alternative to traditional superficial parotidectomy in the hands of experienced parotid surgeons with regard to clinical outcomes, and it may be superior with regard to cost.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Partial superficial parotidectomy as the method of choice for treating pleomorphic adenomas of the parotid gland.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 49: 447-450
- Extracapsular dissection: minimal resection for benign parotid tumours.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 49: 451-454
- Two new localizations of solitary fibrous tumor in the italian population: parotid gland and oral cavity—review of the literature.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 70: 2360-2367
- Histopathology of pleomorphic adenoma in the parotid gland: a prospective unselected series of 100 cases.Laryngoscope. 2001; 111: 2195-2200
- Nasopharyngeal pleomorphic adenoma: a rare case report and review of the literature.Case Rep Otolaryngol. 2018; 31 (2018: 2481370)
- Experience with 1,360 primary parotid tumors.Am J Surg. 1975; 130: 460-462
- Management of pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid.Br J Surg. 1988; 75: 305-308
- Pleomorphic adenoma: extracapsular dissection versus partial superficial parotidectomy with facial nerve dissection.Del Med J. 2009; 81: 119-125
- Complications of superficial parotidectomy versus extracapsular lumpectomy in the treatment of benign parotid lesions.J R Coll Surg Edinb. 1992; 37: 155-158
- Extracapsular dissection vs superficial parotidectomy of benign parotid lesions: surgical outcomes and cost-effectiveness analysis.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017; 143: 1092-1097
- Extracapsular dissection versus superficial parotidectomy in benign parotid gland tumors: the Vienna Medical School experience.Head Neck. 2017; 39: 356-360
- Surgical management of benign tumors of the parotid gland: extracapsular dissection versus superficial parotidectomy: our experience in 232 cases.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013; 71: 410-413
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid: extracapsular dissection compared with superficial parotidectomy–a 10-year retrospective cohort study.Sci World J. 2014; 2014564053
- Treatment of Warthin’s tumor by enucleation.Am J Surg. 1988; 156: 294-296
- Capsular significance in parotid tumor surgery: reality and myths of lateral lobectomy.Laryngoscope. 1984; 94: 324-329
- Pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid: formal parotidectomy or limited surgery?.Am J Surg. 2013; 205: 109-118
- Keratinocyte growth factor colocalized with perlecan at the site of capsular invasion and vascular involvement in salivary pleo- morphic adenomas.J Oral Pathol Med. 2009; 38: 377-385
- Surgical options in benign parotid tumors: a proposal for classification.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2017; 274: 3825-3826
Published online: April 16, 2020
Accepted: March 23, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.