The purpose of this study was to identify thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor (TAFI) in saliva and to investigate the correlation between TAFI levels in saliva and plasma. Subjects included were healthy adults without diseases or medication that could affect coagulation. Samples of stimulated saliva and blood samples were obtained from 33 subjects. Levels of TAFI in saliva and plasma were analysed. The association between levels of TAFI in saliva and plasma was calculated using linear regression. Low levels of TAFIa/TAFIai were found in most saliva samples but only one sample had levels that were above the lower limit of detection of the assay used. TAFI (proenzyme) was not found in saliva, so no correlations could be calculated. In this study there was no indication that there is TAFI present in secreted saliva. Either TAFIa/TAFIai in saliva were much lower than in plasma and under the detection limit of the assay used, or there was no TAFIa/TAFIai in the saliva tested.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Systematic comparison of the human saliva and plasma proteomes.Proteomics Clin Appl. 2009; 3: 116-134
- Comparative human salivary and plasma proteomes.J Dent Res. 2010; 89: 1016-1023
- Saliva as a potential diagnostic tool.Indian J Med Sci. 2010; 64: 293-306
- Community HIV screening among MSM in three Indonesian cities.Curr HIV Res. 2019; 17: 65-71
- Salivary cortisol and cortisone in the clinical setting.Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2017; 24: 161-168
- Roadside drug testing: An evaluation of the Alere DDS® 2 mobile test system.Drug Test Anal. 2018; 10: 663-670
- The hemostatic system.Curr Med Chem. 2004; 11: 2245-2260
- Structure-function relationships in thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor.J Thromb Haemost. 2016; 14: 633-644
- Thrombin activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor (TAFI): a molecular link between coagulation and fibrinolysis.Srp Arh Celok Lek. 2010; 138: 74-78
- Thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor.Curr Med Chem. 2004; 11: 2335-2348
- Thrombin activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor (TAFI)--how does thrombin regulate fibrinolysis?.Ann Med. 2006; 38: 378-388
Bouma BN, Mosnier LO. Thrombin activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor (TAFI) at the interface between coagulation and fibrinolysis. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2003-2004;33:375-381.
- Insights into thrombin activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor function and regulation.J Thromb Haemost. 2013; 11: 306-315
- Bleeding related to disturbed fibrinolysis.Br J Haematol. 2016; 175: 12-23
- Fibrinolytic inhibitors in the management of bleeding disorders. Malmö: Clinical Coagulation Research Unit, Skåne University Hospital: Treatmeant of hemophilia. 2012; 42 (Available from URL: http://www1.wfh.org/publications/files/pdf-1194.pdf (last accessed 13 May 2020)): 1-14
- Dental extractions in patients with bleeding disorders. The use of fibrin glue.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1993; 75: 280-282
- Plasminogen activators and their inhibitors in human saliva and salivary gland tissue.Eur J Oral Sci. 2006; 114: 22-26
- Plasminogen in human saliva.Int J Oral Surg. 1982; 11: 110-114
- Toothbrushing affects the protein composition of whole saliva.Eur J Oral Sci. 2002; 110: 480-481
- Assessing the effects of diurnal variation on the composition of human parotid saliva: quantitative analysis of native peptides using iTRAQ reagents.Anal Chem. 2005; 77: 4947-4954
- The diagnostic applications of saliva--a review.Crit Rev Oral Biol Med. 2002; 13: 197-212
- Pharmacokinetic principles of drug distribution in saliva.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1993; 694: 36-47
- Diagnostic potential of saliva: current state and future applications.Clin Chem. 2011; 57: 675-687
- A novel, possibly functional, single nucleotide polymorphism in the coding region of the thrombin-activatable fibrinolysis inhibitor (TAFI) gene is also associated with TAFI levels.Blood. 2001; 98: 1992-1993
- The use of saliva markers in psychobiology: mechanisms and methods.Monogr Oral Sci. 2014; 24: 99-108
- Oral hygiene and gingivitis in a Swedish adult population 1973, 1983 and 1993.J Clin Periodontol. 1998; 25: 807-812
- Needle phobia: etiology, adverse consequences, and patient management.Dent Clin North Am. 2010; 54: 731-744
Published online: June 04, 2020
Accepted: May 13, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.