While there have been previous studies examining the relation between the rs17820943 and rs6072081 polymorphisms in the v-maf musculoaponeurotic fibrosarcoma oncogene homolog B (MAFB) gene and rates of nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate (NSCL/P), at present the results of these studies have been inconsistent. This meta-analysis therefore aimed to conduct a more robust assessment of the association between the MAFB rs17820943 and rs6072081 polymorphisms and NSCL/P risk. The Embase, Web of Science, PubMed, the China National Knowledge Internet (CNKI), and Wanfang databases were systematically searched to identify relevant studies. In total, five studies incorporating 2769 patients and 2885 controls were identified assessing the rs17820943 polymorphism and three studies incorporating 1242 patients and 1310 controls assessing the rs6072081 polymorphism were identified. This analysis revealed the MAFB rs17820943 and rs6072081 polymorphisms to be linked to a significantly reduced NSCL/P risk (rs17820943: C vs T: OR = 0.76, 95% CI = 0.70-0.82; CC vs CT: OR = 0.75, 95% CI = 0.67-0.85; CC vs TT: OR = 0.58, 95% CI = 0.49-0.67; CC + CT vs TT: OR = 0.67, 95% CI = 0.59-0.77; CT + TT vs CC: OR = 1.43, 95% CI = 1.28-1.60; rs6072081: A vs G: OR = 0.77, 95%CI = 0.68-0.86; AA vs AG: OR = 0.76, 95%CI = 0.64-0.90; AA vs GG: OR = 0.58, 95%CI = 0.45-0.74; AA + AG vs GG: OR = 0.68, 95%CI = 0.54-0.84; AG + GG vs AA: OR = 1.40, 95% CI = 1.19-1.65). The results of the present meta-analysis indicate that in an East Asian population, for both rs17820943 and rs6072081 were associated with NSCL/P.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Genetics of cleft lip and palate.J Pediatr Nurs. 2000; 15: 242-249
- Time trends in oral clefts in Chinese newborns: data from the Chinese National Birth Defects Monitoring Network.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2010; 88: 41-47
- Cleft lip and palate.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1773-1785
- A genome-wide association study of cleft lip with and without cleft palate identifies risk variants near MAFB and ABCA4.Nat Genet. 2010; 42: 525-529
- Further evidence of association of the ABCA4 gene with cleft lip/palate.Eur J Oral Sci. 2012; 120: 553-557
- Different roles of two novel susceptibility loci for nonsyndromic orofacial clefts in a Chinese Han population.Am J Med Genet A. 2011; 155: 2180-2185
- Association of candidate genes with nonsyndromic clefts in Honduran and Colombian populations.Laryngoscope. 2012; 122: 2082-2087
- Polymorphic variants of V-Maf musculoaponeurotic fibrosarcoma oncogene homolog B (rs13041247 and rs11696257) and risk of non-syndromic cleft lip/palate: systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 2792
- Association between single nucleotide polymorphisms of v-maf musculoaponeurotic fibrosarcoma oncogene homolog B gene and non-syndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate.Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai. 2012; 26: 845-848
- Association of single nucleotide polymorphisms at 20q12 with nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate in a Southern Chinese Han cohort.Mol Genet Genomic Med. 2019; : e1028
- Association between single-nucleotide polymorphisms on chromosome 1p22 and 20q12 and nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate: new data in Han Chinese and meta-analysis.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2012; 94: 469-476
- The association of MAFB gene polymorphism with nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate in Ningxia Hui and Han population.J Pract Stomatol. 2015; 31 (in Chinese): 57-62
- Genetic variants of 20q12 contributed to non-syndromic orofacial clefts susceptibility.Oral Dis. 2017; 23: 50-54
- Associations of ABCA4 and MAFB with nonsyndromic cleft lip with or without cleft palate in a Northeastern Chinese population.J Hard Tissue Biol. 2018; 27: 181-184
- Critical evaluation of the Newcastle-Ottawa scale for the assessment of the quality of nonrandomized studies in meta-analyses.Eur J Epidemiol. 2010; 25: 603-605
- Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis.Stats Med. 2002; 21: 1539-1558
- Polymorphisms at regions 1p22.1 (rs560426) and 8q24 (rs1530300) are risk markers for nonsyndromic cleft lip and/or palate in the Brazilian population.Am J Med Genet A. 2013; 161a: 1177-1180
- Gene interactions provide evidence for signaling pathways involved in cleft lip/palate in humans.J Dent Res. 2016; 95: 1257-1264
Published online: July 06, 2020
Accepted: May 20, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.