It is not unusual for the protruding premaxilla to attain an undesirable position after cleft lip repair. Such a premaxilla may lead to considerable problems in facial aesthetics, or oral functions, or both in early childhood. These abnormal premaxillas may produce difficulties in bone grafting and orthodontic treatment in late childhood. In such cases, surgical correction of the premaxilla in childhood is justified. From 2013 to 2018, 11 children, aged 2 to 11 years, had a secondary ostectomy of their premaxilla. A new stabilisation method (developed by us) was used to provide rigid fixation to the premaxilla. The follow up period ranged from 1 - 6 years. The results were satisfactory in all except for a few minor issues in three patients. There was significant improvement in their appearance, oral functions, and most importantly in their quality of life. The need for secondary osteotomy of the premaxilla should always be weighed against its potential complications. The fixation technique described by us, though, provides rigid fixation, but may potentially be associated with a few complications if not practised carefully.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Management of the premaxilla in the treatment of bilateral cleft of lip and palate: what can the literature tell us?.Clin Oral Invest. 2016; 20: 207-217
- Surgical repositioning of the premaxilla with bone graft in 50 bilateral cleft lip and palate patients.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009; 67: 760-766
- Premaxillary osteotomy and bone grafting for secondary BCLP repair – long-term evaluation of growth.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 69: e16-e17
- Premaxillary osteotomy fixation in bilateral cleft lip/palate: Introducing a new technique.Asian J Surg. 2016; 39: 90-95
- Lag screw fixation of the premaxilla during bilateral cleft lip repair.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2019; 47: 1881-1886
- Latham’s appliance for presurgical repositioning of the protruded premaxilla in bilateral in bilateral cleft lip and palate.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 1992; 20: 99-110
- A new device for fixing the premaxilla with osteotomy in a child with complete bilateral cleft lip and palate in the mixed dentition period: a preliminary case report.Tokai J Exp Clin Med. 2008; 33: 21-27
- Principles and techniques of bilateral complete cleft lip repair.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 75: 477-487
- Cleft lip nose and palate: The nasal septum as the pacemaker for midfacial growth.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013; 115: 442-447
- Surgical repositioning of the premaxilla in complete bilateral cleft lip and palate.Angle Orthod. 1972; 42: 139-147
- Children with repaired bilateral cleft lip/palate: Effect of age at premaxillary osteotomy on facial growth.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104: 1261-1269
- Management of the prominent premaxilla in bilateral cleft lip and palate.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2006; 43: 92-95
Published online: July 04, 2020
Accepted: June 10, 2020
Received: December 19, 2019
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.