In Leeds, nurse-led oral and maxillofacial oncology clinics are a vital part of the care of patients who are undergoing treatment for head and neck cancer.
1Although our service continues to evolve, it has taken a considerable amount of preparation and around six years to develop the credible, efficient, and quality service that exists today. The time it takes to implement a nurse-led clinic should not be underestimated.
- Urquhart C.
- Hassanali H.A.
- Kanatas A.N.
- et al.
The role of the specialist nurse in the review of patients with head and neck cancer - is it time for a rethink of the review process?.
Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2011; 15: 185
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The role of the specialist nurse in the review of patients with head and neck cancer - is it time for a rethink of the review process?.Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2011; 15: 185
- Are nurse-led chemotherapy clinics really nurse-led? An ethnographic study.Int J Nurs Stud. 2017; 69: 1-8
- Nursing and Midwifery Council.2015 (Update Oct 2018. Available from URL: https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/sitedocuments/nmc-publications/nmc-code.pdf (last accessed 10 June 2020))
- Our experience of a nurse-led oral and maxillofacial surgical clinic in a tertiary centre: two years on.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020; 58: 99-101
- Early experience of a nurse-led clinic in a tertiary centre.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018; 56: 338-339
- How to set up a nurse-led clinic.Nurs Stand. 2016; 30: 64-65
The NHS Plan. Developing key roles for nurses and midwives; a guide for managers. Available from URL: http://www.nursingleadership.org.uk/publications/keyroles.pdf (last accessed 10 June 2020).
- Nursing and Midwifery Council.2018 (Available from URL: https://www.nmc.org.uk/globalassets/sitedocuments/education-standards/future-nurse-proficiencies.pdf (last accessed 10 June 2020))
Published online: July 01, 2020
© 2020 The British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.